We now have a magnificent new village hall and school. These are part of the ongoing Community Project that will also feature 58 new houses and a shop.
To book the village hall please click here
To learn more about our community project please click here
Bletchingdon is a village about 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Kidlington and 6 miles (9.7 km) southwest of Bicester.
The village lies on high land just under two miles from the river-bridge over the Cherwell and at the junction of the old London to Worcester road with three by-roads to Weston-on-the Green, Kirtlington and Hampton Poyle..
Bletchingdon parish also includes the hamlets of Enslow and Heathfield about two miles west and east of the village respectively.
The Oxford canal was completed in 1789 and runs through Enslow following the path of the river Cherwell. From 1845 the Oxford and Rugby Railway was built, also through Enslow, where Bletchingdon railway station once stood. This station was closed in 1964.
The Village was originally built around a green, but the houses on the north side were pulled down when Bletchingdon park was extended in the 16th century. The village buildings skirting the park wall and near the church are still predominantly 17th or 18th-century in character. Many are built of coursed rubble and many have roofs of Stonesfield slates.
On the south side of the green there was a row of thirteen rubble-stone cottages with slate roofs, built in 1794 but these were condemned in 1952 by the local housing authority. In 1954 this row was reconditioned and converted into seven cottages. These can be seen on the right of the picture above.
The parish church is enclosed within the park, now covering some 70 acres and can only be approached by a footpath, which after a struggle in 1795 was declared a right of way.